Thursday, March 26, 2015

2015: The Monster in the Hollow: Sneakery. Betrayal. And the Deadly Secret of Chimney Hill. (The Wingfeather Saga, Book 3) – Andrew Peterson



Book 3 of Wingfeather was by far the slowest paced book so far in the series…except when it wasn’t. I finished one book I started after Wingfeather simply because this was a slower build-up, but moreso, because The Bark of the Bog Owl and A Wise Man’s Fear were really captivating. Had I known what the ending of The Monster in the Hollows would have been like, I might have shifted the order. The ending was so good I skipped books I was already reading to launch into the final book The Warden and the Wolf King. What I enjoyed most was the Tolkien-style launching into multiple stories at one time. Much of the story has surrounded Janner, but for a few brief chapters we started following Sara Cobbler. Just the small departure showed that Peterson was able to risk the formula for the development of the story, which I greatly appreciated.

Another enjoyable piece of this work was playing on the book title. Often times the book title can be cleverly found at a distinct part of the novel. Here it is played with throughout. Who or what is the monster? Is it that person? Is it this thing? Just when you are settled into your understanding of the monster it shifts because the basket your eggs were in just slowly unraveled…which is messy because now you only have your hands or maybe the bottom of your shirt to carry your eggs in.

The long, slow build-up of tension in the Green Hollows eventually led to a great ending by Peterson. He gives you puzzle pieces that you may have discounted as random facts until you start piecing together the ending. Oh that quirky thing that such and such character can do…yeah, it’s important and not trivial. Oh…that thing that you know happened, and you hated it…well, it was for a much bigger purpose than you ever could have anticipated. Without giving too much away it is fair to say that this is the emotionally satisfying and heartbreaking book of the series so far. It also holds a lot more angst as Janner grows into his identity and the other characters make similar strides.

One thing that I found difficult, although, if I were to be honest helped me understand Kalmar a little more were a few illustrations in the book. The illustration of Janner was a bit frustrating, but to see just how wolf-like Kalmar was helped inform the story. When kids tease him, and people gawk at Kalmar you begin to wonder just what he looks like. Seeing him illustrated helps you understand, “Oh my. You are basically a wolf that can walk on two legs.” This reminded me of my friend Julia when she told me she did not want to watch the Harry Potter movies. She had in her head a distinct visualization of the character that she did not want to adjust…I get that now.

My friends the Webbs told me that Wingfeather would become one of my favorite book series. After the first book I doubted, after the second I still doubted. After the third…I am starting to change my mind and look forward to the conclusion of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment