Thursday, March 26, 2015

2015: Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire #3) – Craig Johnson



Kindness is easily the weakest of the first three of the Longmire series. Johnson weaves this crazy net of people. The problem is…they’re in Philadelphia…and I suspect that we’re going back to Wyoming for book 4 after a little bit of recovery time for Cady Longmire. In a sense this was a terrible introduction to the main touchpoint of Walt’s life…his daughter, and seemingly only remaining family. Although the story moved to Philadelphia for this book we still have Bear and Vic making important appearances. But some of the other characters we know are just given a brief “they still exist” line in the book.

I think Johnson understands murder as the primary source of crime material. Maybe that has something to do with the genre, maybe it has something to do with Walt. In this edition, Walt goes to Philadelphia with Bear. Bear has an art show, Walt needs to meet Cady’s new man. The problem is, the day he gets there (SPOILER ALRET) Cady is involved with an accident that is no accident that lands her in the ER. Vic’s family takes care of Walt. Bear of course helps,  but is busy with his own ventures.

So, in comes a new series of characters from Philadelphia. Most revolve around Vic. Her time on the force left their mark on everyone…also her dad is a big wig. The story boils down to this: lots of murders, and lots of “Walt you shouldn’t be doing anything, but you’re doing things. Stop doing things. Things will get you in trouble. Why aren’t you killed because of things?” So, in that sense we now have the trouble of a Wyoming sheriff being out of jurisdiction when it comes to his daughter’s attack.

What did I like about Kindness? Bear. I liked Bear. He is the steadfast character who Walt needs. I really like Bear. In case I am not clear yet…Bear is like a verifiable mancrush. Bear. BEAR!!!

Vic’s mom is also a great surprise. She is the perfect foil and companion for Walt in this novel.  Her brothers are also pretty great. I don’t really care about much else from this Philadelphia story except for one tidbit, but I’m gonna warn you to stop reading right here if you don’t want a MAJOR SPOILER!!!

Okay…you’re still here, so guess what…Walt and Vic have sex. That caught me way off guard. It also surprised me how Johnson wrote about sex. I suspected that if he ever approached the topic of Walt and sex it would be more inferring than, well, wowzers writing a steamy little love story what enough descriptors that you know HOW they are having sex. So…that happened. I think it will be interesting to know how that plays out back home. Does this mess with Walt? Does it mess with Vic? Does anyone else know or even need to know? I think it is one of the best plot points for the series to come out of the book, along with what I assume to be Cady moving home (since she appears in the television series).

So…that is Kindness. Will I still read Book 4? Most certainly. They just might get bumped from a small let down here…and because I am starting a doctoral program and need to start on those books!

No comments:

Post a Comment