Monday, October 27, 2014

Andy Catlett


I am pretty mesmerized by Wendell Berry's Port Williams books. I believe this is the fourth book in the series I have read. Unlike Nathan Coulter, Andy Catlett relates the same historical connection that Berry does with Hannah Coulter and Jayber Crow. Like Nathan Coulter, however Andy recounts the events of a specific period of time. He just does so in a way that ties the history together.

It is interesting to read more about the Feltners, Andy's grandparents and at the time of the story Hannah's in-laws. Both recount them as the type of neighbor you want to have. Both remind me of my grandmother. Thrift. Kind. Stern. Loving.

Andy however reminds me of the side of myself that people say reminds them of my uncle Dick. Not just the storyteller, but the friend who knows everyone. Like Andy, I pause wishing I had asked my elders questions. Like him I see a history vanishing among us, a tie to the land, and battles fought not just on foreign fields, but in the heartlands, a history where homesteading was a way of life and not the newest fad.

Andy Catlett is the musings of an old man; it’s a longing for an older time. It’s a good book. It does not match the strength of Jayber Crow or Hannah Coulter, but those are near perfect books. Berry may not have another book that matches the depth of those two. But what Berry master’s in each book is embracing the persona of the same cast of characters. Nathan Coulter is not the same as Jayber Crow. Their writing styles may be similar, but that is accounted for by growing up in the same community. However, where Jayber can write in beautiful, flowing language, Nathan writes in shorter thoughts. Andy writes with the words of a story teller. He does not get lost in details, but knows which details are important to the story. He has a mastery of tone that Nathan lacks.

The strength of this particular story is (in my reading) the love story of Hannah and Andy told from the younger perspective. These two share a love that both mention. And that love being told from Andy’s perspective is interesting. What does he remember feeling for Hannah at such a young age. The two are now older as this story is told. They have a very different relationship. But the kind affection is clearly there, just told differently as it was experienced differently.

Andy Coulter reminds me (as mentioned earlier) of the side of me that connects to the older world; that side of me that wants to pick up and move to the farm, to live an older life. In that sense I respect Andy, I understand him. But the depth of story, the heartbreak and emotion told through his story just lacks a little compared with his elders.

No comments:

Post a Comment